There are so many things to love about a white Christmas; the beautiful snow, fresh air, and picturesque scenery to name a few. However, the gorgeous scenery does have its drawbacks. The biting temperatures, howling wind, and not to mention rain and snow, can have a negative effect on your skin. If you’re planning on heading somewhere cold for the holidays, here’s our guide to keeping your skin looking its best in the coldest of temperatures.
- Swap Out Your Cleanser. Your deep-cleansing, foaming gels can work wonders in the sweaty summer, but can be too drying when the temperatures start to drop. Switch to a creamy milk cleanser that will remove makeup and surface dirt without over drying your skin or stripping it of its natural protective oils. Reviderm Cleansing Milk will gently remove makeup, excess oil, and dirt, while nourishing your skin. It’s also gentle enough to be used on irritated skin or rosacea.
- Lock in Moisture. Dry air can literally suck the moisture out of your skin, so keeping your skin moisturized and hydrated is one of the most important things to do in cold climates. Keep dry skin and flakiness at bay and maintain your healthy, glowing complexion by applying an intensively hydrating serum like SkinMedica Moisture-Boosting Serum. This serum works on all skin types and contains hyaluronic acid to boost your skin’s moisture levels as well as improve its ability to retain moisture. It also minimizes fine lines and tightens.
- Don’t forget to protect your skin. Don’t be fooled into thinking you don’t need to protect your skin from the elements in the cold. The wind, pollution, and even ultraviolet exposure can still occur in the coldest climates. A mineral BB Cream like Jane Iredale Glow Time Full Coverage Mineral BB Cream will protect your skin from the environment and sun while providing a flawless finish.
- Protect delicate areas. The skin around your eyes and lips are particularly prone to dryness and damage in cold weather, as they have less layers and don’t have the same amount of naturally protective oil glands as the rest of your face. Keep your eyes and lips protected with a rich, multi-use cream like The Organic Pharmacy Lip and Eye Cream, which contains rose hip oil, shea butter, and evening primrose to keep the areas moisturized and plump.
- Look after your limbs. It’s easy to forget about your body, especially when it’s wrapped up in so many warm layers. However, despite being hidden away, the skin on your body can also feel the effects of the cold. Treat and soothe dry, irritated skin with Bliss High Intensity 24 Heaven Healing Body Balm, a rich healing balm that will provide long-lasting relief to parched skin. Apply it within three minutes of a (lukewarm) shower to lock in moisture.