For those of us with oily skin, controlling the shine can feel like a constant battle, or even a full-time job. Oily skin can be due to many reasons, including genetics or even the weather. Oily skin can also be caused by using the wrong products; many people use products that are too heavy, resulting in a leftover “oil slick”. The opposite can also happen; many people believe that using excessively drying products is the best way to treat oily skin, when they actually cause the skin to overcompensate and produce even more oil to balance itself out.
Luckily, there is some good news. Using the right products, with proven ingredients, can help reduce oil and keep shine at bay. There are even ingredients that can help minimize oil production in the first place, without irritating or upsetting the skin’s natural balance. Below are some of our top picks for fighting oily skin.
- Dermalogica Dermal Clay Cleanser – The trick with oily skin is to deep cleanse without irritating it. This clay-based cleanser contains water-soluble kaolin to purify and remove excess oils, and cucumber and sage to calm and soothe. It can also be left on for 5-10 minutes and used a mask.
- Comfort Zone Active Pureness Mask – This purifying mask comes in a mousse-like texture for easy application and contains green clay and kaolin to absorb and reduce excess sebum. It also contains naturally astringent extracts of bardana, willow, and lavender to deep cleanse and purify oily skin.
- Bioderma Photoderm AKN Mat – You don’t have to (and shouldn’t) avoid sunscreen just because you have oily skin. Look for a light mattifying formula, like this one. It contains Bioderma’s sebo-regulating Fluidactiv complex and offers high protection against UVA and UVB exposure, in a colorless, mattifying formula.
- Exuviance Night Renewal HydraGel – This gel will smooth and refine oily, acne-prone skin while you sleep. It contains phytotal, a botanical blend of ingredients that will minimize oiliness without overdrying. It also contains poly-hydroxy and alpha-hydroxy acids to renew and repair your skin, gluconolactone to minimize pores and fade hyperpigmentation, and mandelic acid to smooth out fine lines.
- SkinMedica Ultra Sheer Moisturizer – Using a light, oil-free moisturizer will keep oily skin happy and prevent shine. This moisturizer comes in an ultra-sheer formula and will balance out oil production while firming the skin and protecting against environmental damage.