The lips are easily one of the most overlooked facial features when it comes to skincare. We spend so much time focusing on our skin, and even our eyes, but we often neglect our lips until we wake up to dry, chapped lips or wrinkles around the mouth. Your lips are more likely to dry out than other parts of your face, due to the fact that they have no sweat or sebaceous glands. The top layer of skin on the lips is also very thin, leaving the lips prone to dryness and chapping. Needless to say, your lips can always use a little extra help and TLC. Today, we’re taking a look at some of the most common lip concerns and their solutions.
- Dryness: One of the easiest ways to prevent dry lips is to stay hydrated. Drinking enough water and ensuring your diet contains enough vegetables and fruits will keep your lips naturally hydrated. Eve Lom Kiss Mix contains a blend of natural extracts and beeswax to moisturize and soothe your lips. It’s also perfect as a base for lipstick.
- Chapped Lips: If you have chapped lips, the first thing you need to do is stop licking them. Licking your lips may seem like a good idea, but it will actually dry your lips out even more. Instead, make sure you regularly apply a deeply moisturizing and repairing treatment. Dermalogica Renewal Lip Complex contains cocoa butter, avocado oil, and shea butter, along with a slew of other vitamins, to repair and condition. It also contains hyaluronic acid to instantly provide long-lasting relief.
- Wrinkles: Fine lines and wrinkles around the lips can be attributed to lifestyle (put down the cigarettes), sun exposure, or genetics. They can also cause lipstick to “bleed” around the lips, so it’s important to treat these lines as soon as you notice them. Elemis Pro-Intense Eye and Lip Contour Cream is a rich cream that contains active plant stem cells to protect cells, boost collagen, and visibly plump up fine lines.
- Sunburn: Your lips are prone to sunburn, thanks to their thin protective layer. Keep your lips protected with a moisturizing lip balm with sun protection. Comfort Zone Sun Soul Lip Balm SPF 15 Stick is a nourishing lip balm that will hydrate and protect your lips from the sun, while minimizing the appearance of wrinkles.
- Thinning: Like other parts of your face and body, your lips can also start to thin out over time. Give your lips a helping hand by using a plumping lip treatment. Skinmedica TNS Lip Plump System is a two-step lip treatment that will repair tissues, encourage collagen production and increase micro-circulation for an instantly plumper pucker.