You probably already know how to layer your jewelry and clothes. But did you know that there’s a certain way to layer your skincare products, too? Using your products in the correct order will allow you to reap the most benefits, and since we are all for getting the most out of our products, we’ve put together a handy guide on the correct order to apply them.
- Cleanser: The first step in any skincare routine is cleansing. Without properly cleansing your skin, everything you put on will be applied over any leftover makeup or impurities. We love using multi-tasking cleansers like Elemis Pro-Collagen Cleansing Balm, which will remove makeup and cleanse your skin.
- Toner: Some people believe toners are unnecessary when it comes to a skincare routine. However, most toners today actually contain active ingredients and will prepare your skin for the next step. Look for a toner that has beneficial active ingredients, like Murad Essential-C Toner, which contains an amino acid complex and brightening vitamin C.
Now you’re ready for the fun part: layering your skincare products. The easiest way to think about layering your products is to remember to start with the lightest products and finish with the heaviest.
- Eye Cream: Depending on the type of eye cream or eye gel that you need, it can either be applied at the beginning or end of your routine. If you use an eye gel with a lighter formula, apply it first, if you are using a heavier eye cream or balm, apply it last. Despite when you apply your eye cream, always remember to gently pat it on, and never pull or tug the skin around your eyes. If aging is a concern, try Dr. Hauschka Eye Contour Day Balm, a moisturizing eye balm that will soothe the skin and reduce wrinkles.
- Serum: We love serums because their lighter formula allows them to easily penetrate the skin and deliver ingredients right where they are needed most. Don’t be fooled by the light texture, thanks to concentrated ingredients, you probably need to use less product than you think. If you’re new to serums, try one like The Organic Pharmacy Antioxidant Face Firming Serum, a serum that works on all skin types and will repair, strengthen, and tone the skin.
- Moisturizer: If your skin is a little dry or dehydrated, apply a moisturizer to lock in hydration. Gently pat your moisturizer on top of your serum to instantly plump up your skin cells and boost radiance. We like to use a light moisturizer that won’t clog pores, like SkinMedica Ultra Sheer Moisturizer, which will hydrate and protect against the environment. In the morning, apply your skincare products and then wait a few minutes before you apply your sunscreen. Wait a few more minutes to allow the sunscreen to set before applying your makeup. Allowing everything to properly set will keep your makeup from sliding off during the day, and will also help you avoid the dreaded midday shine.