Organic, natural, chemical-free beauty products are definitely having a moment. With everything that is happening on the planet, it’s easy to see why people are leaning towards natural ingredients.
Parabens are an ingredient on a lot of people’s naughty lists right now. They’ve been used as preservatives since the 1920s and, while they can be found naturally in fruits like blueberries and prunes, most parabens today are manufactured synthetically. Their main use is to prevent the growth of mold and bacteria, and they are used in many cosmetics, skin, and hair products.
In the 1990s, parabens were discovered to have a weak estrogenic affect, meaning they mimic estrogen in the body. Researchers also found traces of parabens in malignant breast tumors. While all of this might sound scary, it’s really important to note that many experts have pointed out that the presence of parabens doesn’t necessarily mean that they can lead to cancer, and much more scientific research is needed before anyone can claim that the use of parabens in products has a negative effect on the body.
If you’d rather be on the safe side and are considering going paraben-free, let us assure you that not all paraben-free products are covered in mold, or don’t actually work. There are many natural preservatives that work just as well as parabens, and tons of beauty companies out there have jumped on the chemical-free preservative train. So before you throw out your products and prepare yourself for a life of blotchy skin and frizzy hair, check out some of our favorite paraben-free products.
1. Philip B Light-Weight Deep Conditioning Creme Rinse – Paraben Free Formula – Thanks to ingredients like sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, and walnut oil, this paraben-free, lightweight, and super hydrating conditioner will keep your hair bouncy, shiny, and tangle-free.
2. SkinMedica Retinol Complex – Proving that ‘paraben-free’ doesn’t mean ‘ineffective’, this retinol-based night cream will keep your skin hydrated, soft and protected from free-radical damage. It also stimulates collagen production and increases cell renewal for fresher, younger-looking skin.
3. Jane Iredale Glow Time Full Coverage Mineral BB Cream – This multi-tasking, paraben-free BB cream protects your skin from the environment, soothes redness and irritation, gently refines and provides flawless coverage.
4. Lierac Sunific After Sun Ultra Refreshing Balm – Moisturize and repair sun burned skin with this paraben-free after-sun cream. Its cooling texture will immediately soothe your skin and you can use it on your face and body.
5. Bliss Triple Oxygen + C Energizing Cream – You can expect brighter, firmer, more radiant skin from this lightweight gel-cream. This paraben-free cream delivers oxygen right to your cells, instantly energizing your skin. It also contains vitamin C for a powerful anti-aging boost.