They say that ‘the eyes are the windows to the soul’, and in many cases, that seems to be true. It’s especially true when that soul has had a few too many late nights, or has been staring at a computer screen all day. Dark circles seem to be just another symptom of modern day life, but seriously, how annoying are they? Sure, concealer works wonders, but how great would it be to wake up in the morning and not look like you somehow managed to punch yourself in your sleep? Well, we’ve got great news! It is totally doable and we’ve put together some tips to prove it. Read on to find out how to get rid of dark circles right now and for good.
1. Drink lots of water and eat a balanced diet. According to the ancient Chinese art of Face Mapping, darkness under the eyes could be a sign of a sluggish bladder or kidneys. Make sure you drink enough water during the day and fill up on fresh fruits and vegetables.
2. Dark circles are often accompanied by puffiness, which makes everything look worse. Try propping an extra pillow under your head at night; this will help stop excess fluids from gathering under your eyes. You can also try a gel like Lierac DIOPTIgel to tighten the area.
3. Sluggish circulation can cause dark circles or make them look worse, but the good news improving circulation can help brighten the area. Derma e Evenly Radiant Dark Circle Eye Cream with Skin Brightening Complex contains horse chestnut to increase circulation and bust dark circles.
4. We all know how important it is to wear sunscreen, but did you know that the sun can cause hyperpigmentation under the eyes? Regular sunscreens can be a little too harsh to wear around your eyes, so choose a specific eye cream with sun protection. Murad Essential-C Eye Cream will keep the area soft, hydrated and protected from the sun.
5. We’re all guilty of being a little too harsh to our eyes and rubbing and tugging to remove our makeup. If that sounds familiar, stop that right now. Too much rubbing can cause damage to the delicate skin and capillaries around the eyes, leading to, you guessed it, dark circles. Make sure you use a super-effective eye makeup remover like Elemis White Flowers Bi-Phase Eye Makeup Remover, which is specially formulated to remove even the most stubborn waterproof makeup. Hold the pad over your lids for at least 20 seconds to completely melt off your makeup.
6. Need help ASAP? Try an illuminator to instantly brighten the under eye area. A quick swipe on the inner corners of the eye will minimize dark circles and fake a wide-awake look. Try Murad Eye Lift Illuminator to hydrate, de-puff and mask darkness.