Eczema, often called dermatitis, is one of those skin conditions that can be incredibly frustrating. There are two main types of Eczema, contact eczema and atopic eczema. Contact eczema is caused by a certain substance that irritates the skin, causing a reaction, while atopic eczema is hereditary and is the most common type of eczema. While there is no cure for eczema, it is possible to avoid triggers and manage flare ups.
If you suffer from eczema, you should stay away from harsh ingredients, so make sure you always wear gloves when using household cleaning products. In addition, your own body sweat can irritate your skin and cause flare ups, thus it’s important to shower immediately after you work out. Try to decrease the intake of foods like dairy, eggs, nuts and wheat, which can trigger your eczema. Some people find that their eczema flares up during periods of stress, so try to find ways to unwind and make sure you give yourself lots of TLC.
When it comes to managing your eczema, you goals should be to keep your skin as happy as possible, by treating it gently, keeping it moisturized and avoiding triggers. Here are a couple of our tips and tricks:
- Keep hot showers to a minimum as they can zap moisture from your skin.
- Remember to moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. Look for creamy body lotions and apply them as soon as you get out of the shower to lock in moisture.
- It may be really difficult, but try not to scratch! Scratching can damage the skin and lead to an infection, not a pretty sight!
- When buying clothes, look for natural fabrics that are not scratchy. Try to avoid wearing items that are too tight as these may rub against your skin and irritate it.
- If you aren’t seeing any changes, or your eczema starts to get worse, it might be time to see a doctor. A dermatologist can recommend medicated topical treatments that will get everything under control.
Need a little more help? Here are some amazing products that are great for managing eczema:
Derma e Psorzema Cream – This intensely hydrating cream will make dry, flaky, itchy skin a thing of the past. It contains neem, burdock and bearberry to heal and soothe upset skin, along with vitamin A to encourage healthy cell growth, and vitamin E to soften.
Eucerin Replenishing Face Cream 5% Urea – This face cream was created with urea and lactate, which are naturally occurring compounds that bind moisture to the skin, making this cream ideal for even the driest skin. It will instantly smooth and hydrate, creating a perfect base for makeup.
Neostrata Bionic Lotion – This super strength lotion contains antioxidants to fight environmental damage, and Polyhydroxy Acids that will not only hydrate extremely dry skin, they will also make you look visibly younger. The lightweight formula also contains moisturizing ingredients to soothe, moisturize, and reduce the flaking associated with eczema.
– Rebecca Harisson