Do you experience redness, burning or tingling after applying certain skincare products? Does your skin feel dry, scaly or itchy in certain environments? Does your skin often feel irritated and unhappy?
If your answer is yes to any of these questions, or you suffer from acne, rosacea, dermatitis or eczema, chances are you have sensitive skin. The good news is, if treated properly, sensitive skin can be just as beautiful as any other type of skin out there.
Dealing with Sensitive Skin
Some of the typical symptoms you may experience if you have sensitive skin are redness, itching, burning, and dryness. Here are some common triggers and the best tips from our experts.
- Always choose gentle products and avoid ones with harsh ingredients like artificial fragrances, SD alcohols, or high concentrations of benzyol peroxide and glycolic acid. We recommend using ones specifically formulated for sensitive skin.
- Consider taking vitamins C, E, A, B and K. Some studies suggest that these vitamins can improve skin health.
- Water is your friend. Make sure you drink lots of it and eat a healthy, balanced diet. People who are tired and stressed are also more likely to have sensitive skin, so ensure you get lots of sleep and try to fit in some relaxing ‘me time’.
- Using too many products at once can overwhelm the skin, leading us to believe that our skin is sensitive. If you are changing your routine, try introducing one new product at a time to allow your skin to adjust and give you time to recognize any possible irritation.
- Always test products on your wrist at least 24 hours before trying them on your face.
- Environmental factors, like sun exposure, wind, heat, cold, pollution, and humidity can wreak havoc on your skin, so try adjusting your skincare routine according to the weather.
- Avoid using harsh abrasives like loofahs and scrubs, as these can aggravate sensitive skin.
We know how tricky it can be to find the right skincare products for your individual needs, so we’ve put together a list of our favorite products for sensitive skin:
1. Cellucur Gentle Cleansing Milk – This mild, calming cleanser is perfect for sensitive skin. It removes makeup and deep cleanses without irritating your skin.
2. SkinMedica Ultra Sheer Moisturizer – An oil-free moisturizer with a lightweight formula that feels great on the skin. Ideal for people who have acne or oily skin. For dry skin, we suggest using Eucerin Aquaporin Active Rich Cream. Moisturizing should be done shortly after cleansing.
3. SVR 50 Ecran Minéral Teinté Peau Intolérante – Think that sensitive skin and sunscreen don’t mix? Think again. This is high-protection, mineral sunscreen is free from chemical filters and has been specially formulated for sensitive skin.
4. If your skin is really suffering, we recommend Murad’s line for sensitive skin. It includes a Soothing Gel Cleanser, a Soothing Serum, a Recovery Treatment Gel, and a Correcting Moisturizer with SPF 15. These products will calm and nourish irritated skin, restoring its suppleness.
– Injeel Firoz