Firmer, smoother, softer skin that glows? From one ingredient? It sounds like we’re joking, but we aren’t. Alpha Hydroxy Acids are kind of like nature’s little secret. They improve your skin by providing measurable results, rather than just temporarily making it look better.
What are Alpha Hydroxy Acids?
Alpha hydroxy acids, or AHAs, can be found naturally in fruits, milk and sugar cane, or they can also be synthetic. AHAs are perfectly safe and can reduce wrinkles, fine lines and signs of aging, as well as improve skin texture and tone, reduce acne scarring, and unclog pores.
How do they Work?
AHAs work by gently exfoliating the top layer of the skin, removing dead skin cells and revealing the fresh new layers underneath. They also unclog pores and increase collagen production to firm the skin.
Types of Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs)
The most commonly used AHAs are glycolic acid and lactic acid because of their special ability to penetrate the skin.
The following are the 5 major types of AHAs found in skincare products and their sources:
- glycolic acid – sugar cane
- lactic acid – milk
- malic acid – apples and pears
- citric acid – oranges and lemons
- tartaric acid – grape
Side Effects of Alpha Hydroxy Acids
While creams and lotions with Alpha Hydroxy Acids may help with everything from fine lines and pigmentation, to rough skin and acne scarring, there are certain precautions to take. Certain users may experience mild irritation and sun sensitivity after using products containing Alpha Hydroxy Acids. That is why it’s important to wear sunscreen every day and always follow the instructions on the package.
Are you ready to give AHAs a go? Here are some of our favorite products containing Alpha Hydroxy Acids:
1) Neostrata Ultra Smoothing Cream – Ideal for first time AHA users. This oil-free, ultra-soothing night cream improves skin texture and smoothness after only four weeks of use.
2) Jan Marini Age Intervention Regeneration Mask – This mask uses glycolic acid for some super-charged, anti-aging action. It uses a dual-action delivery system; delivering targeted anti-aging ingredients while resurfacing and regenerating at the same time.
3) SkinMedica Rejuvenating Toner – This toner uses AHAs to deep cleanse pores, getting rid of any excess oil or impurities in just a few swipes. The AHAs help smooth out fine lines and wrinkles, while added antioxidants provide an extra boost.
– Injeel Firoz