For some of us the best weather of the year is now ending. However for beach lovers, the next few months in the UAE bring along a strong sun. With its central location being in the middle of the equator, the city can have one of the hottest summers in the world, with temperatures going up to 50 degrees C during peak hours.
For most of us, getting a tan remains desirable, boosting our confidence and eliciting compliments. With beautiful beaches at our disposal, the UAE can seem like the perfect place to attain a perfect bronzed look, but it’s important to consider that sunbathing does not come without baggage. Overexposure to a very strong sun can lead to a lot of negative side effects, many of which we’ve covered previously, namely prematurely aged skin.
If you do choose to pursue some color, we’re here to help you protect yourself from these side effects. First of all, let’s start with some basics. The higher the SPF in sunscreens, the more the protection. Different skin types require different levels of protection, depending on how fast they burn. One should also be aware of the fact that sunscreens and sunblocks have essentially different meanings and uses. Available in lotion, oil and cream form, sunscreens have an SPF rating. When applied they react with the sun and create a barrier between the skin and the sun rays. A sun block on the other hand has no SPF rating and blocks UV rays completely.
Here are some pointers for ensuring your glow is a healthy one:
- The skin on your face is the most sensitive skin on your body and the area most susceptible to the development of wrinkles. Remove all traces of makeup creams and perfume liquids. These products make skin more open to sunburn.
- Apply sunscreen with an SPF designed for your skin type before you go out in the sun, ensuring you do not leave any areas uncovered.
- If you have sensitive skin, use a hypoallergenic sun care product.
- It is advisable to stay out of the sun between the hours of 12pm to 3pm, as the intensity of the sun is at its peak at these hours.
- While going for a swim, or playing water sports, use a waterproof formula.
- Don’t forget to apply sun block to your lips! Lips can easily burn or dry out if exposed to a very strong sun for long.
- Make sure to reapply your sunscreen regularly for it to work properly.
Take care with tanning, your future skin will thank you!
Bashara Care recommends: