We believe the word daily routine is misleading in the skincare industry. It implies something that is time-consuming and an unnecessary chore that leaves room for short cuts when in fact, skincare is an extension of the skin’s natural growth and recovery cycle, takes less than 5 minutes from your schedule and does not reward short-cuts. Skimping on any one of the steps below is depriving your skin of vital agents to help it maintain its cycle.
Let’s start with the basics of the skin’s life cycle. At night, your entire body is renewing itself, and this is when cells go into overdrive to shed the old skin and bring new skin to the surface. It follows then, that spending 5 minutes with the make-up remover and night cream aides this process.
- Make-up remover allows the skin to breath, unclogs pores and gets the skin ready for rejuvenation.
- Cleanse: your make-up remover is not a replacement for cleanser; it helps the cleanser penetrate deep into the skin by removing the film of make-up that suffocates the epidermis.
- Night creams have agents in them that complement the body’s natural recovery routine.
When you wake up, your skin is already healthier looking thanks to nature’s work overnight and the 5-minutes you dedicated to it before going to bed. But as we subject it to such a harsh environment living and working in a bustling city, it is imperative we help the natural defense mechanisms in the system with these products in the morning.
- Hydrate: this is different than moisturizing. Start your day with a full glass of water. Try leaving a bottle next to the alarm clock so it’s the first thing you touch after the snooze button.
- Cleanse & Exfoliate: remember how the skin was getting rid of dead cells overnight and bringing new cells closer to the surface? Cleansing and exfoliating will make sure those dead cells don’t block the new skin from coming to the surface.
- Tone: if not for the fresh, tingly feeling, then use a toner for what the name suggests: to get an even skin tone. The correct toner will also help balance out the pH levels of your skin. We love Lexli and Jan Marini.
- MOISTURIZE & PROTECT: This is capitalized because we live in an incredibly hot climate where our skin demands the best money can buy in this department.
How long did it take you to start seeing results after switching creams and/or toners? Tell us in the comments section below.